26. August 2010 08:46
Picture source: AudioCaseFiles & CALI
This week your friendly librarians will be at the Knowledge Bars in Building D and on the 3rd floor of the tower, available to show you how to register for AudioCaseFiles and CALI.
AudioCaseFiles is a service that provides legal multimedia, and is now part of the Courtroom View Network (CVN) Law School portal. You can listen to your assigned cases with audio opinions from AudioCaseFiles and view trial advocacy training clips from the Video Training Library (VTL). Make sure to create your free account using your law school provided email address in order to get unlimited access to the audio and video content.
Students can use AudioCaseFiles to search for audio opinions by course subject or by their casebook title, download MP3 files of their assigned cases and learn on the go! Also, students can visit the VTL for specific clips of attorneys executing litigation techniques and skills. Watch and learn how to effectively deliver your opening statement with PowerPoints or to see how to cross examine a hostile witness.
Here’s how to register for AudioCaseFiles:
1. Go to http://lawschool.courtroomview.com/register
2. Choose our school in the drop down menu and then complete the registration form. You must use your law school email address!
3. You will receive a verification email. Click the link to complete the registration.
The Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit consortium of law schools that researches and develops computer-mediated legal instruction and supports institutions and individuals using technology and distance learning in legal education. Basically CALI provides lessons to help you study specific topics.
We recommend the CALI lesson on Plagiarism, especially after reading this article from the ABA Journal. For 1Ls specifically, we’d recommend the 1L- First Year Lesson Topics list. This list can give you a good starting point of CALI lessons relevant for your first year.
Here’s how to register for CALI:
1. Go to http://www.cali.org/user/register
2. Follow the steps for filling out the form. Please use your law school email address!
3. Enter the authorization code provided to you at orientation. If you do not have this code, please call the Law Library reference desk at (602) 682-6898 to obtain the code. CALI is only for current students and faculty.
Be sure to check out these invaluable resources to help with your studies! And as always, contact the Law Library if you have any questions!